Sample Course Structure
Here is an example of a typical HC Skills International course
Professional Award for Access to the Operating Theatre
Session 1 – Clinical Risk Management
- Clinical Risk Management
- Infection Control
- Standard Precautions
- Operating Room Personnel
- Operating Room Environment & Zones
- Personal Protection in the Clinical Environment
- Entering Clinical Areas & Aseptic Technique
Session 2 – Practical Workshops in Clinical Areas
- Assessing Risks and Analysing Hazards
- Role Play
- Etiquette and Protocol
- Hand-wash/Scrubbing, Gowning and Gloving
Session 3 – Legal Implications
- Legal Implications – personal, product, vicarious and employer
- The Medical Device Regulations and Product Liability
- The Patient – Working Towards a Professional Code of Practice
- Consent and Confidentiality – legal rights
- In-Service Training – ISO 1471
- The Scope, Structure & Principles of the Medical Device Regulations & CE Marking
- Post-market surveillance, vigilance and conformity assessment procedures
- Adverse incident reporting
- Duty of Care
- Medical Negligence
- Material contribution
Session 4 – Assessment Phase
- Practical assessment (in Operating Room)
- Preparing to Enter Operating Room
- Entering the Sterile Field
- Aseptic Technique
- Written MCQ Theory Paper
- Written Clinical Risk Management exercise
Day 1: 10am – 6pm Day 2: 8am – 5.00pm
This programme is delivered by clinical professionals with the defining knowledge and experience. The course spans two full days and covers the following topics:
- Theatre management and roles.
- Respect for the patient and confidentiality.
- Principles of safe practice.
- Risks and potential hazards.
- Health and safety requirements
- Infection control and standard/universal precautions.
- Relevant regulations.
- Aseptic technique; scrubbing, gloving and gowning procedures.
- Practical exercises in the operating theatre department.
- A written, verbal and practical examination
There are two routes to the Theatre (OR) qualification:
- A two-day, fully taught course
- A one-day, fast-track course for experienced personnel. This is intended for medical device and pharmaceutical reps who have either more than three years’ experience or have attended/completed another theatre protocol and etiquette course.
One of our courses – which is for company representatives in hospitals working where patients are not present – is available to be completed exclusively online, although it includes an infection-control exercise that follows a practical format.
Copyright HCS International Ltd 2013